Ebooks and Eaudiobooks
Thanks to generous funding from the Maplewood Memorial Library Foundation, we now subscribe to Overdrive Advantage, a service which allows us to purchase more eBooks and eAudiobooks specifically for our patrons! Sign in to view extra titles we’ve purchased for you.
Maplewood Library is member of eLibraryNJ. This service, from the vendor OverDrive, provides you with access to thousands of eBooks and eAudiobooks for your Kindles, Nooks, iPods, iPads, and other portable devices, as well as your Windows or Macintosh computers. ELibraryNJ is a cooperative service of 48 New Jersey libraries.
To use eLibraryNJ, click on the graphic above to go to the site.
- To get started, click on the ? Help icon at the top right of the page. OverDrive Help offers step-by-step instructions tailored to your specific reading or listening device. All of today’s most popular devices are supported, and there are special apps for iphones and ipads, androids and blackberries.
Checking Out eBooks and eAudiobooks
- You do not need to set up a special account—you use your library card number and PIN to check out. (If you don’t have a PIN, click here for more information, or call the library at 973-762-1622 x4.)
- You may check out five items, and the loan periods are a maximum of 10 days for audiobooks and 14 days for ebooks.
- Checked-out items are automatically returned at the end of the loan period—no overdue fines.
- Since we share this service with 47 other libraries, items you want may already be checked out. You can place holds on up to 5 items—you will receive an email when your item is available, and you will have 3 days to check it out.
More eBooks and eAudiobooks
eBooks from EBSCOhost
eBooks from Project Gutenberg
eBooks from Ebscohost
Setting Up an EBSCOhost Account
In order to download and read eBooks, you must first create a free EBSCOhost account. Click here to create an account . If you are using the Internet from a library computer, you will be passed straight through to the EBSCOhost webpage. If you are using your own computer, you will first be asked to verify your credentials as a Maplewood Library member by entering the barcode and PIN for your library account.
- Click the Sign In link in the top toolbar. From the “Sign In to My EBSCOhost” screen, select the option to Create a new Account. Your EBSCOhost account is NOT the same as your library account, but it is required to check out EBSCO eBooks.
- Fill out the form to create your user account with EBSCOhost and select the save changes button.
Using EBSCOhost eBooks
EBSCOhost eBooks can be downloaded to your personal computer and transferred to portable reading devices such as Nooks or iPads. Click here for a list of supported devices.
Step 1: Set up Adobe Digital Editions
To read an EBSCOhost eBook on your portable device, you will need to install Adobe Digital Editions and activate an Adobe account. Adobe Digital Editions is available for free download. First, activate Adobe Digital Editions on your computer by creating an Adobe ID and password . If you do not first create an ID and password, you will be prompted to do so when the download is complete.
Now you are ready to download Adobe Digital Editions . Simply click the Download now button located on the top right of the page, then click the brown Launch button. Adobe will prompt you to select components to install. That is up to you and what you would like to appear on your personal computer. The only component you need is the first one, Digital Editions. Select the folder to which you wish to install Digital Editions, then click Install. Once installed, Digital Editions setup assistant will open automatically. Follow the prompts as directed in setup assistant. If you are using a portable device or eBook reader, you’ll need to activate it with your Adobe ID and password as you did with your computer.
Step 2: Check out and download an eBook
You can browse or search the library’s collection of eBooks on the EBSCOhost site. When you access EBSCO eBooks from home, you will first be asked to login with your name, library barcode and PIN.
You can also search for eBooks in our catalog. To see if we have a specific title in eBook form, search for the title and look for the phrase “[electronic resource]” immediately following the title. This may be either an dBook or an Eaudiobook. An eBook will say “online resource,”and an eAudiobook will say “sound file.” You may also do a keyword search for “eBook” to see all of the library’s eBook holdings. When you find a title you wish to download, click on the available link.
To check out an eBook:
The maximum checkout period for a downloadable eBook is three weeks. You may check out up to ten eBook titles at one time. EBSCOhost eBooks cannot be renewed. Please do not download eBooks to public computers in the library – they are intended for use with your home computer.
- Click the Download (Offline) link for the eBook you would like to download.
- Select a Checkout period from the drop-down menu and click the Checkout & Download button. The maximum check out period is three (3) weeks.
- The eBook will be added to the Checkout area of the folder. If you are not logged into EBSCOhost, you will be prompted to do so.
- Select Open with or Save File from the resulting dialog box.
- If you select Open with, your eBook will be opened with Adobe® Digital Editions. If you select Save file, the eBook will be saved to your computer and can be opened with Adobe® Digital Editions at a later time.
- When a downloaded eBook is opened, it is displayed in Adobe® Digital Editions
- You can drag and drop the title icon to your portable device, or read the eBook on your computer.
Project Gutenberg is an organization that has digitized thousands of eBooks for free use by the public. As a service to our customers, Maplewood Library has loaded several hundred of their classic titles into our library catalog. You may find these records in our catalog by doing a keyword search for “Project Gutenberg.” Click on the links within the records to find the eBooks online. There is no loan period, and the books are yours to keep.