Using the Catalog
Creating a Password/Logging In
A BCCLS password (previously PIN) allows you to view your borrower information online. With a password, you can review what you currently have checked out, renew materials that are renewable, and check for fines. Please note that you need your password to request materials. Initially, your password is the last 4 digits of your library card number (barcode), which is printed on the back of your library card. To log in:
- From our home page, click on My Account.
- Type in your library card number (without spaces) and password in the appropriate boxes
- Click Log in.
To change your login information:
- Login as above
- Click the box that says change logon and follow the prompts to fill in the appropriate boxes.
Finding something in the catalog
Searching for items in BCCLS libraries is easy, and there are many ways to do it. From our home page, use the search box on the top right and enter any combination of words (author, title, or subject keywords) in the Search Catalog box and click enter. Your search will bring you to the BCCLS catalog and your search results.
A keyword search searches for titles containing specific words.
- From the BCCLS Catalog home page, Click Search on the menu bar, then click Keyword in the Search menu.
- Type the text to search for in the Keyword Search box
- Use the Search by box to narrow your search by author, title, subject, etc.
- Use the Limit by box to limit your search by book, audiobook, DVD, etc.
- Click More Advanced Search Options to further limit your search by library, date, etc.
- Click Go to run your search.
Work with Search Results
You can do the following actions from the search results list:
- Click a Sort option at the top or bottom of the page to sort your results
- Click a page number or the arrow at the top or bottom of the page to move through the list
- Click Availability to see availability information
- Click Full Display to see detailed information
- Click Add to My List to add the title to a list that you can save, print, or send by email
- Click Place Request to request that the library obtain and hold the title for you to check out.
To Search for Maplewood Library Items Only
If you’d like to search for items available at Maplewood Memorial Library, and not view items at other libraries, follow these steps:
Make sure “Maplewood Memorial Library” or “Hilton Branch” is showing at the top of the catalog page, to the right of the BCCLS logo. If it is not, find the “switch to another library” box near the top right of the page, and select your home library. When you search the catalog, materials owned at the library you selected will display at the top of the list.
When entering your search terms, look for the “Limit by” drop-down menu. Here you can choose to limit your search to items that are available at our library only.
Reserving an item
Most items in the BCCLS Catalog are available for request through our online catalog. You will need your library card number and password to request a book online.
- When you find an item you want, click the Place Request button on the right side of your screen.
- You will be prompted to log in with your 14-digit library card number or Username, as well as your Password.
- Click the grey Log In button to continue.
- Select library at which you would like to pick up your book and click Submit Request.
- The library will call or email you when your item is ready for pickup.
Renewing an item
- From our home page, click My Account on the menu
- Log in
- Click Items Out on the left side of the screen
- Click the check box by the title for each item that you want to renew
- Click Renew selected items OR
- Click Renew all items to renew all the items.
A message tells you which items have been renewed, and whether any renewals have been blocked. Please note: Not all items may be eligible for renewal. If an item cannot be renewed, there is no check box for the item.