Money Smart Week @ the Library April 25-30
April 25-30 is Money Smart Week @ the Library. It’s a full week of free programs to help you manage your financial life:
Nuts & Bolts of Financial Trading – Tuesday 4/26, 6 pm at Hilton Branch
For ages 13 and up. Want to know what it’s like to be a Wall Street trader? Play a simulated trading game! Learn what it means to buy and sell – and what you’re buying and selling! Bring your basic math skills and have some fun! Taught by Michael Steiner.
Bankruptcy Seminar – Wednesday 4/27, 2 pm at Hilton Branch
Volunteer Lawyers for Justice (VLJ) will be providing a FREE legal seminar for people considering filing for bankruptcy. The seminar will provide an overview of the Chapter 7 bankruptcy process and other information to help you determine whether bankruptcy is the right choice for you.
Learn How to Pay for College Without Going Broke – Wednesday 4/27, 7:30 pm at Main Library
For all parents and college-bound students. You’ll learn:
- Why procrastination may cost you thousands of dollars and why everyone should file a FAFSA form
- Why the least expensive college may not be the most cost effective
- How to position your student to maximize their success both in and after college, and specific qualities to look for when searching for a college
- Why traditional college savings strategies like 529s, Coverdell ESA and children’s accounts can actually cost you money
- How to pay college bills in the most efficient way possible
Presented by EGE Group: CPAs and Consultants
Bingo Thursday 4/28, 4 pm at Hilton Branch
For all ages: if you know your numbers, you can play and win a prize!
Hackers Never Sleep: Keep the Cybercriminals From Stealing Your Money and Your Life – Thursday, 4/28, 7 pm at Main Library
Cyberattacks and identity theft are two of the biggest threats to your finances and reputation. Nearly everyone is at risk of losing control of their email and online financial accounts. Learn how you can protect your accounts from theft in this informative presentation with the authors of Hack Proof Your Life Now! The New Cybersecurity Rules. Stamp out malware, block identity theft, & reclaim your privacy from hackers, thieves and spammers.
- How to reduce your digital footprint and minimize worry about rampant data breaches
- A simple way to ensure that identity thieves will never take out credit in your name
- Why new “chip” cards won’t prevent online fraud, and what to do about it
- How to have total control of your credit cards and bank accounts and catch hackers in the act
- Why LifeLock doesn’t stop identity theft
Presenters: Sean M. Bailey and Devin Kropp are the authors of Hack Proof Your Life Now! and the creators of Savvy Cybersecurity. Bailey is the editor in chief of Horsesmouth and Kropp is an assistant editor at a New York City-based financial education firm.