Read Around the World: Colombia
Main Library – Wednesday, Jan. 11 @ 7:00 pm. This month’s title is The Sound of Things Falling by Juan Gabriel Vasquez. As law professor Antonio Yammara recalls when the war between Escobar’s Medellín cartel and government forces played out violently in Colombia, he discovers the many ways in which his own life and his murdered friend’s family have been shaped by his country’s violent past. As his marriage is falling apart, he is drawn to his friend’s daughter, and together they recall a world on the brink of change: a time before narcotics trafficking trapped a whole generation in a living nightmare.
Explore thought-provoking fiction from around the globe. Our Read Around the World book club meets once a month to discuss titles from foreign locales. All titles are available from Maplewood Library or through the BCCLS consortium.
Future dates and readings for Read Around the World Book Club:
- February 8–Saudi Arabia–Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea
- March 8–Japan–Death by water: a novel by Oe Kenzaburo
- April 5–Hungary–The door by Elizabeth Szabo
- May 10–Ethiopia–Cutting for stone by Abraham Verghese
- June 14–Barbados–The star side of Bird Hill by Naomi Jackson